Given its popularity to beat the heat, it should come as no surprise that India is one of the leading producers of sugarcane. It is called many different names depending on the local tongue, but it still is the same humble sugarcane bringing peace to every parched soul. Loaded with abundant minerals like calcium, phosphorus, zinc, and potassium, and vitamins like A, B- complex, and C, sugarcane juice also keeps you in top shape.
When you are purchasing large stalks, it is best to cut them up into smaller pieces so that you can refrigerate them. Make sure you rinse the stalks thoroughly and wait till they are completely dry before keeping them inside the refrigerator. Also, wrap each cut end of the stalks with a plastic wrap and securely fix it with an elastic band. This will prevent moisture loss from the stalks and keep them juicy fresh. If proper care is taken, they will be good to go for two weeks.
Interesting Sugarcane Facts
- Sugarcane has no fats. It is, in fact, a 100% natural drink.
- It is a grass plant of the genus Saccharum, and can be found in 36 varieties.
- In 1493, Christopher Columbus took sugarcane to the Carribean to plant it there.
- A mature sugarcane can grow up to 30 feet tall.
- A single sugarcane plant can take 9 to 24 months to become mature, depending on the climate.
- Sugar extracted from sugarcane juice contains only 15 calories!
Instant Energy Booster
Ensures Safe Pregnancy
Prevents Bad Breath And Tooth Decay
Facilitates Development Of Bones And Teeth
Cures Febrile Disorders
Aids Liver Functioning
Acts As A Digestive Tonic
Aids People Suffering From Diabetes